Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Official day 2 of the school year.

Well today is the second day back for all the school kids around here. There are a lot of little boys running around our cul-de-sac, lots of built in playmates for our kids. Of course they all go to school, so our 2 were a little sad that summer was over and all their friends were gone.

I knew they would feel that way, so yesterday afternoon we took the kids to the 'not going back to school' picnic. It was really nice for the kids to meet a bunch of other home educating kids and for me to meet some other parents. I haven't gotten together with other home educators since we moved here.

The boys did math in the morning, as they did yesterday, and they worked on letters to our sponsor child. They also helped us deliver flyers for our church fall carnival. They thought that it was pretty cool that they got to invite all their friends and neighbors.

I am feeling a little overwhelmed by the prospect of starting another school year. I really don't know what I believe to be the best way to help my children learn. My natural instinct is to schedule their day with lessons and subjects. I do not want to stifle their love of learning, but I cannot escape from the feeling that there should be fruit to show for their endeavors. I also realize that I need to be a more active participant in what they are about. I have been so distracted with babies the last few years that I feel I have disconnected from the older boys a bit.

Part of the reason I wanted to write this blog is so that I would have a place to record our days and be able to look at it and see what works; what and how they are learning; and what needs to change.
I pray that this will be a year of discovery and growth for us all, and that God will help me create a rhythm in our home to facilitate this.

No comments: