Friday, May 21, 2010

Apparently I can no longer call myself a blogger! But I feel like writing today, so I thought I would do a little catch up here as we near the end of our year.
I have been feeling discouraged and frankly sick of homeschooling throughout the past few months. More to the point, tired of fighting with the kids about school, tired of poor attitude and tired of the endless demands that home educating and parenting 5 kids puts on me. That may have a lot to do with my husband working 100+ hours a week for the last 3 months and basically doing this all by myself. And being physically exhausted and therefore having little emotional or physical energy to put into anything. Maybe.
Regardless, we will be making changes in the fall. We may be putting one or both of our teenagers in school in the fall. At the very least, my 'soon to be' grade 8 student will be cyberschooling. I need him to be responsible to someone else for the schooling. I don't want to keep fighting with him about school every day, we have other stuff to work on and I want to keep a relationship with him!
My eldest can be quite self-reliant and I know we can successfully keep home educating through graduation, though there are many things to be said for him going to high school for a while. A different idea was presented to me today and I am really thinking that it would be a fantastic one for us. We continue to traditional home educate and he registers in a local university as an undeclared student taking one course at a time while he finishes high school! We have a couple of really home education friendly college options here in our city. I am leaning towards this option, especially since I just ordered him a Sonlight core! I ordered a ton of stuff from them this week and I am expecting delivery on Monday. Woohoo! I can't wait for 'box day'!

No comments: