Friday, August 28, 2009

Fresh New Year

I am really excited to start a new year of home educating. There have been many days in our journey that I wished we could just quit, but there is nothing like a fresh September and a big pile of books to awaken my joy.
We are starting out a bit slow this year. Science, Drawing, Writing and maybe a little Latin and/or French. Those are the resources I have on hand. Oh and economics and we will probably continue watching our Canada: A People's History videos. I am just hoping and praying that we can order our math and our Sonlight soon.
Nothing like opening that box of Sonlight, full of new books and *rubs hands gleefully* schedules! We don't always follow schedules that well, but I am hoping that my big boys will be working very independantly this year and it will be so helpful for their work to be already scheduled. Talk about a time saver!
For math I am making the change from Saxon to Teaching Textbooks this year, hoping to save my R from another year of torturous (to him) repetition. He just doesn't need the repetition of Saxon and the fighting with him to 'do math' has made us both hate math by now. I love Saxon, I think it teaches thoroughly, but it is just not a fit here. I will be starting him off with the Life of Fred books only though, I haven't seen them yet, but I have high hopes for the funny stories/curriculum wrapped into one.
We are still enjoying the last vestiges of summer around here, one last steamy weekend by the pool, hanging with friends. Next week we shall get back to schedules, and I am happy for it. I am counting the days until I can order the rest of my books!

ps if you are intersted in Sonlight, please use my button on the left to check out the site and sign up for a free account. You will recieve $5 off your first order and I will benefit as well!
God bless you as you start out this new year with your kids.

No comments: